Thursday, September 07, 2006
Thursday Recipe Round Up!
I love, love, love to cook. It's my one creative outlet--and one I'm not half bad at either. I'm one of those, sort of, throw everything in and see if it works kind of people, although I always read a few recipes to get the basic proportion of ingredients. Only once has something been so bad that we threw it away and went out!

On the other hand, I'm really lazy. I hate dishes. I hate things that take too many steps. Unfortunately easy and tasty don't always go together. Too often you end up with an icky conglomeration of pre-made foods that just looks and tastes gross. See: Sandra Lee--The devil of the Food Network

I'd like to share with other people out there meals and recipes that are easy and tasty--and good enough to make for your mother-in-law.

So here's the first of a weekly (maybe even bi-weekly) Recipe Round up post.

This a delicious salad dressing from Cooking Light (Oct. 2005)I do not measure anything in this recipe--so feel free to wing it.
1 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

-Boil the apple juice until very reduced, about 10 minutes (it will look like a thin syrup--about 3 tbls.) At this point I sometimes add a dash of maple syrup too
-Let cool
-Put in a tupperware or other container with a lid. Add the rest of the ingredients. Replace top and shake until combined.

I serve this on and lettuce/cheese/fruit combo I can think of. Romaine with cheddar and apples. Spinach with cranberries and blue cheese. It's very versatile.

Original Recipe on Cooking Light


My new favorite side dish, courtesy of Rachel Ray. Feel free to splurge on the cheese or add some white cheddar.

Cheesy Orzo
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans (14 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth or stock
2 cups orzo pasta (enriched rice may be substituted)
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano or Romano (or more!)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat a 8 inch pot with a tight fitting cover over moderate heat. Add oil, onion and garlic and saute for 2 or 3 minutes. Add broth to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo and return broth to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to simmer. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until liquid is absorbed and pasta tender. Remove lid and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. You favorite fresh herbs may also be stirred into the orzo or rice to strengthen the flavor even more.

Original Recipe on Food Network


2 Comments:

Blogger MP said...

Oooo, both those recipes look good.
I'm with you, I like to cook but not clean. My husband cleans up after me.
Right now though broken sink, diswasher not hooked up and the oven doesn't work, sucks to be me.

Blogger The Pirate said...

I'm trying both these recipes, too. The dressing sounds especially good!!

By the way., thanks for the visit and the comment today;)

Post a Comment

<< Home