Wednesday, October 25, 2006
Holy Hell
For the love of God, the last few days have sucked royally. I don't think anyone needs to hear anymore of my own personal Medical Drama (take that ER), but the good news is, I'm on the mend. Let's just put it this way, my little headache cow refused to go away, claiming that leaking spinal fluid prevented its departure. Sick ass m'fer.

Because I haven't fulfilled my recipe sharing responsibility recently, I will give you two. One that is tried and true, the other will be made tonight, but I'm pretty sure will be delicious.

Halloween Snickers Mix
(I have no idea where I found this, but I've made it for at least the last few years)

Mix together:
Candy Corn
Peanuts
M&Ms
(or alternatively, just use peanut M&Ms)

Even if you don't like candy corn, eating it with the chocolate and peanut flavors tastes just like a snickers. I swear! Plus it's festive. You've got to love that.


Overnight Apple Butter
(Thanks to Cooking Light, Oct. '04)
This is good on toast, pancakes and a side for pork or turkey. I think it would make a good gift as well. I'll let you know how it turns out!

1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
10 medium apples, peeled, cored, and cut into large chunks (about 2 1/2 pounds)

Combine all ingredients in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 10 hours or until apples are very tender.

Place a large fine-mesh sieve over a bowl; spoon one-third of apple mixture into sieve. Press mixture through sieve using the back of a spoon or ladle. Discard pulp. Repeat procedure with remaining apple mixture. Return apple mixture to slow cooker. Cook, uncovered, on high 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Spoon into a bowl; cover and chill up to a week. I'm pretty sure it will keep longer and it does seem to freeze well

I plan to use an immersion blender instead of the strainer as I think it will be really messy as written

Stovetop variation: Combine all ingredients in a Dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 1 hour or until apples are very tender, stirring occasionally. Strain through a sieve as recipe instructs in Step 2. Return mixture to pan. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat 15 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.

Yield: 4 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)


3 Comments:

Blogger Zow Zow said...

Maybe just add them to taste LOL!

Blogger MP said...

If you just do the candy corn and peanuts it tastes just like a Payday!! Never thought to add M&M's. I'm doing Weight Watchers now..how many points for a handful :0)??

Blogger Zow Zow said...

Way to many! That's why I always give it away, I can't be trusted!

Post a Comment

<< Home