Wednesday, November 01, 2006
Surplus of Sugar
 In our old neighborhood, Halloween was the biggest night of the year. Everyone went batshit crazy decorating (including some out of control stuff, like giant movie screens and canons that shot out smoke). That's not to say we didn't like. Hell no, we were up there with the best of them with a soundtrack and cool graveyard and an open house for all of our friends. The nieghborhood was a trick-or-treating destination. Busloads of children were dropped off to make the rounds and we got 100's of kids coming through. Luckily we were always prepared with enough candy and never ran out. It was probably my favorite night of the year.

When we moved up here, with out boxes of Halloween decorations, one of the first questions I asked was about the holiday, and how many kids came through. "Eh, not a lot, but some" was the reply. We didn't put of any decorations until yesterday morning, and we went bare bones. A few graves (including the motion sensor one that screams when you walk by) and a few lanterns. Nothing big.

Buying the candy was difficult. For the past 3 years, I bought a huge amount and it was always just enough. I didn't really know how much to get this time, so I went conservative--6 bags. (Last year, I think I bought 20? maybe 25?). It was just enough to fill our fun trick-or-treat bowl with the false bottom so you can grap the kids hand as they reach in. (I'm think I'm some sort of sadistic freak for enjoying that)

We got maybe 20 kids last night. We have 3/4 of the candy left. The last few kids got handfuls. And we still have tons. And it's making me crazy because all I want is a peanut butter cap--and I can't (shouldn't) have one, and they're right there--mocking me!

So now I have to figure out what to do with the candy. I'm sure I'll just dump it off with the kids I coach (who by the way, are big troopers. It's been about 32 degrees the last couple of nights. And we practice at 7 pm. Outside. At a pool. It's COLD).

I'll hopefully have something more interesting to say tomorrow. We're seeing Stephen King speak tonight. I have to get my ass in gear and finish his new book before we go!


1 Comments:

Blogger Zow Zow said...

I almost sent my sister's 12th grade English teacher a nasty email because my sis wanted to do her senior project on Stephen King, and the teacher wouldn't let her, suggesting Jane Austin instead.

I about threw a gasket. Say what you want about King, but Wizard and the Glass (in the dark tower series) is the BEST love story I have ever read (sandwiched between some other wierd stuff).

We're pretty lucky for him to come. I guess he doesn't do a lot of speaches out here. I am bummed I don't live in New York. About a month or 2 ago, King, J.K. Rowling and John Irving gave a talk. It sounded awesome. I'll give the scoop about tonight tomorrow.

Post a Comment

<< Home